Today we are going to the most magical place on earth, Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Theme Park. I want to show you some of my Magic Kingdom must do’s when I visit the park.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Before starting your wonderful Magic Kingdom vacation, you may already feel intimitated by all of the planning you have to do.
You can read my full Magic Kingdom guide here or you can jump into my best Magic Kingdom rides and attractions below!
21 Magic Kingdom Rides and Attraction for Your Ultimate Checklist
1 -- Conquer the three mountains.
You must ride Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Space Mountain.
2 -- Watch the fireworks show.
The Happily Ever After Fireworks show usually starts around 9:00 p.m. each night (time is subject to change based on the season). The newly added display takes you on a remarkable voyage through many of the fan favorite Disney animated films.
This is a can’t miss fireworks show that may make you shed a tear…
…or maybe I’m the only it has that affect on 🙂
Hipster Power Tip: Be sure to watch the shows towards the back of the castle if you want to be in a less crowded area with a good view.
3 -- Ride the classic Carousel of Progress.
I know this may not be all that thrilling, but it is a must do ride. It’s one of Disney’s brainchild attractions that he personally oversaw.
Plus, it’s an amazing nostalgic experience.
4 -- Join the happy haunts and ride the Haunted Mansion.
This is another classic Disney ride and it is a must for any trip to the Magic Kingdom.
The Haunted Mansion is a spine-tingling tour through an eerie haunted estate.
5 -- Ride Pirates of the Caribbean.
Join Captain Jack Sparrow and dive deep into the watery pirate adventures.
You will also be able to sail away and watch the swashbuckler raid towns and participate in a few questionable things.
6 -- Have a character dining meal at Cinderella’s Royal Table.
It may set you back some dollars, but it’s a spectacular dining event. Even for adults it’s pretty awesome!
Don’t forget to have a soothing mimosa.
Read more of the BEST Magic Kingdom restaurants here!
7 -- Ride Tomorrowland Transit Authority.
I love getting on this ride, especially when I’m tired of walking. It’s a perfect ride on a hot day or day when you want something to pass the time while waiting for your FastPass.
The Tomorrowland Transit Authority takes you through different areas of Tomorrowland high in the sky.
Plus, you’ll receive some cool Walt Disney World secrets and facts while aboard the attraction.
8 -- Have a delicious pineapple Dole Whip!
The Dole Whip culture and society is one that has taken off in the past decade and growing every day. It is absolutely delicious and refreshing on really hot summer days.
The Dole Whip is a soft serve swirl available at Aloha Isles inside the Magic Kingdom.
You can even get one with a dash of dark rum at select Walt Disney World locations.
9 -- Hop aboard the Jungle Cruise.
This is another classic Disney ride that is just one of those things you must do at Walt Disney World.
The jungle cruise takes guests on a boat tour through the most exotic rivers across Asia, Africa, and South America.
10 -- Discover and relax on Tom Sawyer’s Island.
To get over to Tom Sawyer’s Island you will have to take a little boat raft from the platform in front of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
The boat ride lasts a few minutes.
Once you arrive to your own little private island, adventure through the dark caves, mysterious landscape and rustic buildings of yesterday.
It’s also a nice place to get great views of Liberty Square and Frontierland. You’ll be delighted to discover shaded areas to sit down and take a break.
11 -- Ride the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is quickly becoming a Disney fan favorite. It’s not an overly thrilling roller coaster, but it is a great introductory thrill ride.
Plus, you’ll have a little surprise at the end.
12 -- Watch and enjoy Mickey’s PhilharMagic Show.
This immersive 3D presentation takes you into the wonder of Disney animation with the help of a 150-foot-wide wraparound screen. It is visually and sensually appeasing.
Hipster Power Tip: Mickey’s PhilharMagic Show is a great spot to go for an AC break.
13 -- Become a Galactic Hero on Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin.
Board an XP-37star cruiser and see if you can reach the high score on this out-the-world space mission.
14 -- Pick up the mystery phone.
Walk into the Chapeau Shop on Main Street. It’s a small hat shop tucked away in the far-right corner of Town Square. Pick up the phone and will hear some interesting conversations.
15 -- Take photos with your favorite characters.
Make sure you find out the character meet and greet times and locations.
For the more popular characters, such as Rapunzel, I recommend a FastPass+ reservation. That way you are guaranteed to get that special photo.
16 -- Have specialty mac and cheese.
My favorite is the roast beef mac & cheese at the Friar’s Nook. Each season options change and you’ll be able to try a newer version of the Friar’s Nook macaroni and cheese.
The mac and cheese will always have the same great taste with delicious toppings that change throughout the year.
Please note that the menu is always subject to change. Current offerings are loaded tater tots of multiple flavors.
17 -- Taste a sweet or savory waffle at Sleepy Hollow.
Don’t be afraid to try both the sweet and savory waffles at Sleepy Hollow. The treats are made of Belgian waffles.
Sleepy Hollow waffles you can choose from:
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich
- Waffle with Powdered Sugar
- Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich
- Waffle served with Strawberries and Whipped Cream
- Breakfast Egg and Cheese Waffle
The line is usually pretty long at brunch time, so be sure to take that in consideration when planning your delicious waffle trip.
18 -- Play with Belle and all of her magical friends.
Eat at Be Our Guest restaurant after you’ve sat and listened to enchanted tales from Belle.
Make sure that you book your reservations to Be Our Guest as soon as possible as reservations are extremely hard to get.
19 -- Take a photo in front of Cinderella Castle.
This is a Disney must! You must have this standard photo of you on Main Street posing in front of the most famous castle in the world.
20 -- Do the Sorcerer’s of Magic Disney card game.
This game’s objective is to stop Hades’s grand plan by defeating Disney villains who can be found in portals throughout the park.
21 -- Let the Magic Begin
Watch the Magic Kingdom welcome show at the beginning of each day. Also known as the “rope drop” moment that kicks the day off!
Here Mickey Mouse and all his friends officially welcome you inside the park with an opening salute and walk down the famous Main Street U.S.A.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Magic Kingdom
Before when end this Magic Kingdom must do cheat sheet, let’s go over some of the most common questions I’m asked.
What Should I Use My FastPass on at the Magic Kingdom?
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
What Can You do at the Magic Kingdom for One Day?
- Before you get to the Magic Kingdom purchase your tickets and download the park map.
- Book your FastPasses to popular attractions, such as the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Space Mountain.
- Arrive at the gates prior to the parking opening and head down Main Street U.S.A.
- Once you’ve taken in Cinderella Castle go left and head towards Adventureland. This is where your attraction adventure will begin.
Once you’re there hike up the Swiss Family Treehouse. The treehouse provides amazing views of the Magic Kingdom.
- Join other park goers on the Jungle Cruise and listen as the skipper enthusiastically tells stories that echo on the rivers of the jungle.
- Now it’s time to head on another voyage to find Captain Jack Sparrow and the Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Once you’ve escaped the treacherous boat ride grab a Dole Whip.
If anybody knows the Disney culture, then you know you must have a Dole Whip on any trip to the Magic Kingdom. If you don’t care for pineapples they do offer alternatives.
- After your refreshment, head over to Frontierland and hop on Splash Mountain. During Splash Mountain, you will go on an adventure with Br’er Rabbit as he avoids Br’er Fox and Br’er Bear.
If getting wet is not an adult thing for you to do, then skip it and ride the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
- This is a classic, simple, fun ride reminding you of childhood. It’s enjoyable both alone or when you’re there with people who love screaming on rides as much as you do.
- Take a break and explore the fabulous Tom Sawyer Island. You have to take a mini boat over to the island. It’s only a three-minute ride at the most.
- On the secluded island you will see Liberty Square from different viewpoints. There are also many caves to discover and it’s a location to take a break from the hot weather.
- Once you have enjoyed your time at Tom Sawyer Island ride the Haunted Mansion. This is a Walt Disney World classic ride and it has so much rich history and storytelling.
After dancing with the happy haunts, take a break and have lunch.
- I prefer Liberty Tree Tavern, but you can book a character dining RSVP at the Crystal Palace.
It’s a nice adult thing to do and it is a lot of fun if you love character meet and greets.
- After lunch, head over to Fantasyland and ride the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
It’s a ride that’s not a high-level, out of your mind roller coaster. It’s more of a beginner’s type of roller coaster, but it’s still pretty exciting.
- After you have spent time with the seven dwarfs, step into the future and ride Space Mountain.
Space Mountain is one of the staple and signature attractions in the Magic Kingdom. The FastPass+ booking usually fills up quickly.
- Go on the Carousel of Progress.
It’s not a thrilling ride. It’s dated, but it’s such a classic Disney attraction that I say this is one of my top adult must do attractions.
- Since you have that attraction out the way, head over to challenge the space cadets on Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. It’s like Men in Black Alien Attack or Toy Story Mania. Be sure to get the highest score on this out-of-the-world ride.
It’s time for you to relax on your adult adventure.
This can be a moment to go back to your hotel room to rejuvenate or you can find your perfect space for an evening parade.
- In addition, you can have a special dining experience booked at one of the Magic Kingdom Resorts.
I hope you enjoyed the 21 Magic Kingdom Must Do experiences. Planning a trip to Disney doesn’t have to be intimidating.
This guide is meant to help you have a jump start to mapping out your most amazing day ever at the Magic Kingdom!
I want to know what you love doing the most when you go to Magic Kingdom? Let me know in the comments section below.
Check out the articles below for more Disney planning tips!
- Walt Disney World Free Dining
- Tips for Doing Walt Disney World on a Budget
- Magic Kingdom for Adults the Complete Guide
- How to do the Magic Kingdom Solo
- The Ultimate Walt Disney World Planning Guide
- 35 Pro Tips for Walt Disney World
For more theme park news, discounts, and tips, subscribe to the weekly guide!
Until next time, Happy Park Hopping Hipsters!