Disney’s Haunted Mansion is one of the top attractions among ThemeParkHipsters, so much so that there is a large fandom that encompasses fan fiction, meetups, collectibles, comics, and numerous pop culture mentions around the world! I’ve always enjoyed the ride, but I could never quite ride it alone (no surprise there).
I know you’re probably thinking that I may be a bit weird because it’s just a Disney ride that is nowhere near the haunting frights of Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights, but I always feel something very eerie and spooky about the attraction that makes my skin crawl all the while keeping the quirky, imaginative spirit of Disney.
This dark ride puts guests in the Doom Buggies who are given a haunted tour of the mansion by the famous Ghost Host (voiced by Paul Frees). I can still remember my first time on this ride in the mid-nineties and how the Ghost Host and the spooky greeters with their dragging, dreary voices would give me the creeps. And let’s not forget the parlor scene that stretches not only the room, but also your imagination with a visual trick that is pretty impressive and still a classic staple of the attraction.
Hipsters there’s no way we can forget Madame Leota, the mysterious medium whose head is famous for its floatation ability and whose chants can blur the line between the natural and supernatural realities of this world. Once you think you’ve survived the spine-tingling tour you gain some famous guests on your Doom Buggie, the Hitchhiking Ghosts…and from what I’ve observed these guys are Haunted Mansion rock stars!
On my quest to find more information about this unique fandom I learned that it is more than a simple Disney attraction. The Haunted Mansion has captivated its followers with the brilliant story-telling passion that Imagineers, such as Yale Gracey, put into telling the fantastic fables of the gloomy inhabitants. I also learned that devout fans are aware of all things “Haunted Mansion”, such as the soundtrack secrets, the history behind the early concepts, and the back story of each ghoulish creature just to name a few. There are even fan based websites that focus on a single entity of the attraction. This aspect keeps the true fans of the grim grinning adventure loyal for the rest of their mortal lives.
Five Fun Facts about the Haunted Mansion
- This attraction can be found in Disneyland (California), Magic Kingdom (Florida), Disneyland Paris, and Disneyland Tokyo (Mystic Manor)
- A doctor and medical lawyer, Cary Sharp, donated $37, 400 for a charity event held at Disneyland to become the 1000th ghost…a man “forever buried in his work“…
- The names on the tombstones are real
- The iconic grim bride with the bright red heart name is Constance Hatchaway
- The Hatbox Ghost was originally a part of the attraction at Disneyland; however, his “HatBox” trick never lived up to the title, so he was axed…but his loyal followers still keep his memory alive…
Check out these amazing websites for awesome news and history on Disney’s the Haunted Mansion!