Have you ever had the chance to experience Grinchmas at Universal Orlando Resort?
If you haven’t, then you’re missing out on one of Orlando’s most amazing holiday festivities!
Islands of Adventure Seuss Landing is completely decorated with yuletide magic in celebration of Dr. Seuss’s classic book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, that was published over 50 years ago.
Let’s now go over EVERYTHING you must know before you go!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO. Which means if you click on certain links, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you.
Visiting Grinchmas at Universal Orlando at Glance:
- Grinchmas will take place daily from November 17th to December 31, 2023!
- While visiting Grinchmas at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, be sure to watch the Who-liday Spectacular!
- The Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular is a special holiday showing of the classic tale How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
- Be sure to check out The Grinch & Friends Character Breakfast at Universal Islands of Adventure on select dates November 17 through December 27 for $58.99 + tax per adult and $32.99 + tax per child (ages 3-9) at Confisco Grill
- Explore all of the magical Seuss Landing holiday decor that are sure to lift your spirits this season.
- Get a photo with the Grinch during Grinchmas at Islands of Adventure
- Join in the festive spirit as your favorite Who-ville characters come alive in their holiday outfits.
- Upgrade your day with Universal’s Holiday Tour
Keep reading to get a full guide on how to conquer this Universal Orlando holiday event like a pro!
Story of How The Grinch Stole Christmas!
This Dr. Seuss story is about a revenge-seeking Grinch who lives on the outskirts of Who-ville.
Plus, an annual event that takes place inside Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Hollywood theme park.
You can get your copy of the book How the Grinch Stole Christmas on Amazon here.
History of Grinchmas at Universal Islands of Adventure
Over the years, Grinchmas has transformed Islands of Adventure into a wintery holiday since December of 2000.
The Seuss-inspired holiday would go on to have tree lighting ceremonies, seasonal treats, and other festival happenings.
Universal would do this by transforming Seuss Landing into Who-ville complete with the Grinch’s Lair.
ORDER NOW to secure your Universal Studios theme park ticket! GET MY TICKETS.
The Grinch’s Lair
The lair was built to look like the Grinch’s home from the 2000 film and once guests ended their walkthrough, they’d be greeted by the infamous man himself.
Throughout the dark queue, guest would see all kind of trinkets known to the Grinch plus a few interactive elements within the queue.
Unfortunately, The Grinch’s Lair would close to make way for the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley.
Prior to the current home of Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular on the Universal Orlando soundstage, the Grinchmas show would take place on a small stage between Circus McGurkus Café Stoo-pendous and the All You Can Read bookstore complete with a tree lighting ceremony towards the end of the day.
You can rent or buy the 2000 film, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, here on Amazon.
Preparing for Grinchmas at Universal’s Islands of Adventure
Before we get into all the fun activities of this Who-ville holiday, let’s go over a few questions that you may have about the event.
When Does Grinchmas Start and End for 2023?
This year, Grinchmas is happening from November 17, 2023 through December 31, 2023. You’ll be able to see the Grinch and the characters of Whoville roaming Islands of Adventure in the Spirit of the Season.
What is Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular?
The Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular is a special holiday showing of the classic tale How The Grinch Stole Christmas. It features music recorded by Mannheim Steamroller and a score composed by Chip Davis.
This Grinchmas show takes place inside the Blue Man Group Soundstage on property that’s right between both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida.
You will enter this location through Seuss Landing in Islands of Adventure.
You definitely have to watch this touching Grinchmas show during your visit to Islands of Adventure once it returns.
How much are Grinchmas tickets?
Grinchmas at Islands of Adventure is FREE and is included with your park admission.
So, once you pay to get into Islands of Adventure you won’t have to worry about having to pay a separate price for this holiday adventure.
Check out the ticket breakdown for Universal Orlando Resort here!
2023 Grinchmas at Universal’s Islands of Adventure
Not only can you enjoy the incredible show of Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular, you can dine with the Grinch himself for breakfast.
Grinchmas Character Breakfast
Breakfast with the Grinch and other Seuss Landing characters is a separately-ticketed experience on select dates at Confisco Grille and you must have already paid for park admission to participate.
This holiday breakfast is quite interactive. The characters at Universal Orlando always have great improvisational skills, but during this character meet-and-greet, there’s little bit more of the Who-ville Christmas magic.
Check out my latest theme park adventures on Instagram TODAY!
When does the Grinch Character breakfast start and end?
The Grinch & Friends Character Breakfast starts on November 17, 2023 and continues until December 27, 2023.
You can book this experience by by visiting www.universalorlando.com/holidays.
How much is the Grinch Character Breakfast at Universal?
The cost for this holiday experience is $58.99 (plus tax) for adults and $32.99 (plus tax) for children. As previously mentioned, a separate theme park admission is required.
You’ll be happy to know that Annual and Seasonal Passholders are able to get a 20% discount on the dining experience for select dates by calling 407-224-7554.
Atmosphere in Seuss Landing during Grinchmas
The holiday spirit is felt all across Seuss Landing. All of the Whos come out to partake in the Christmas festivities with you!
Plus, their interactions are top-notch which is something that I truly enjoy during Grinchmas.
You’ll not only be engulfed in the holiday décor, you’ll see a particular Who sleeping on benches, Whos singing holiday carols, and Whos ready to tell you some of the many wonderful Christmas stories.
It’s so magical!
8 Tips for the Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular You MUST KNOW
Before we end this Who-liday guide, let’s go through some tips to help you make the most of your time during Grinchmas.
- Be aware that there are no restrooms next to you in the soundstage. The nearest one will be near the front door of the Blue Man Group auditorium so you’ll want to go before you get in line.
- Make sure to get a photo with the Grinch during your visit as he’s usually roaming the area of Seuss Landing (check park map upon your arrival for the times or upgrade your day to the Grinchmas Breakfast or Holiday Tour to secure your photo spot with hime)
- Don’t miss the fun decorations outside the show building while waiting in queue line
- Experience the Grinchmas Breakfast
- Get in line for the Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular about 30 minutes prior to the show
- Look out for Max’s dog house as Max is played by a real dog in the Who-liday Spectacular
- One of the best seats in the house is the upper middle area near the right side of the stage (here you’ll get a good view of key props and scenes)
- Please note that it is theater-style seating inside the soundstage where the Grinchmas show takes place
Ready to plan your theme park trip? Watch the best vacation planning tips on YouTube. Get started here!
What to Know Before You Go to Islands of Adventure for Christmas
What time does Islands of Adventure open?
Universal’s Islands of Adventure is opened 365 days a year from 9 a.m to 6 p.m. in the regular season. Hours may change based on the busyness of the park.
Get up to 25% off of your Universal Orlando Vacation with Groupon TODAY!
How much does it cost to go to Islands of Adventure in Florida?
*Please keep in mind that the cost for tickets to Islands of Adventure vary based on the season and are subject to change at anytime.
What rides to do first at Islands of Adventure?
- Fly on Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
- Join the Wizards on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Experience The Amazing Adventure of Spider-Man
- Take a Dive on Doctor Doom’s Fearfall
- Discover Skull Island: Reign of Kong
- Explore Seuss Landing for the Holidays
What is the best time to go to Islands of Adventure?
The best times to visit Islands of Adventure are:
These months are closely followed by March, May, September, and October as still pretty decent visiting times.
My Final Thoughts on Celebrating Grinchmas at Universal Orlando Resort
Overall, you’re going to have a fun day experiencing Grinchmas at Universal.
It’s a great addition to Islands of Adventure during the holidays and it’s a perfect memory for you to create on your next trip to the parks.
This is a staple of holiday time at the Universal parks and a holiday traditional you must start.
What’s your favorite thing to do during Grinchmas? Let us know in the comments section below!
If you enjoy this article, then you’ll love these holiday-inspired tips:
- Thanksgiving Day at Universal Orlando Resort
- Disney Christmas Decorations
- Epcot Festival of the Holidays
- Best Disney Resorts to Visit at Christmastime
- Tips for Doing Christmas at Disney World
- Epcot Candlelight Processional
- Christmas at Busch Gardens
- What to Do at SeaWorld for Christmas
- Christmas at Universal Orlando
Have a Merry, Merry Grinchmas Hipsters!
About the Author
Traveling alone to the parks has changed my life and I want to show how you can create your own solo theme park memories.
Connect with me on Instagram!
(Original Date: August 25, 2014/Updated November 2, 2023)