Do you want to know what the most thrilling things to do in Orlando are besides theme parks?
You may not know it, but the Orlando area has some pretty amazing activities to discover for adults. I thought I’d challenge you to get out of your comfort zone yet again and discover unique things to do in Orlando besides Disney World.
No, I didn’t want to give you the same ole touristy restaurants or attractions. I really wanted to dig deep and find some cool local spots that offer high, thrilling adventures.
These exciting experiences can be done solo or with friends!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO. Which means if you click on certain links, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you.
What is there to do in Orlando for adults?
You probably think Orlando is only for families and young people who love theme parks, but this city has so much more for you to enjoy way beyond the parks.
When you arrive into the Orlando area don’t be distracted by only the glitz and glamour of the theme parks.
Explore the nightlife in Downtown Orlando, the beautiful town of Winter Park, visit many of the local wineries for a day, or the wonderful beaches such as New Smyrna and Daytona Beach.
Many visitors to the wonderful city of Orlando don’t know what is offered outside of theme parks such as Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort.
We’ll go through some of my top thrilling suggestions for things to in Orlando just for adults that are also cheap.
This list is in no particular order, but you can arrange it based on your own level of adventure. So, let’s jump right in!
Ready to plan your theme park trip? Watch the best vacation planning tips on YouTube. Get started here!
1. ICEBAR Orlando
What’s more adult than going to a bar right? But this isn’t just any bar. It’s the largest permanent ice bar in the entire world! It’s 70 tons of hand-carved icy bliss.
With lights, music and gorgeous ice sculptures, it’s a wintry paradise. They even have an icy throne especially for you (why should Elsa have all the fun?).
When it gets too cold, you can try their signature cocktails in the Fire Lounge (which by the way has a great party scene). Plus, the food here is incredible! Making it one of the best indoor activities in Orlando.
While you can bring your own warm clothing, they also provide you with parkas and gloves. You need to pay $10 extra if you want a faux fur coat though.
- Price: $21 (check website for offers, hours, and discounts)
- Address: 8967 International Dr. Orlando, FL 32819, United States
- Restrictions: Ages 8+: 5:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M.; 21+: After 9:00 P.M.
ORDER NOW to secure your Universal Studios theme park ticket! GET MY TICKETS.
2. The Escape Game Orlando
If a top speed NASCAR experience is too much for you, an escape room may just be the right thrill. There are a lot of escape rooms in Orlando, but I’ve found this one to be not only high in thrills, but it’s also not so hard where it’s impossible to complete.
What is an Escape Room?
In case you do not know what an escape game is, it’s a physical and psychological quest where you have to solve a series of puzzles in order to complete the mission of the game.
Each room is designed for first time players to expert players. The Escape Game Orlando has a ranking system to help you figure out which difficulty level is perfect for you!
The Escape Game Orlando currently offers 6 different missions for you to conquer.
Escape Rooms at The Escape Game Orlando
- Prison Break – This is where you are accused of a crime, and sentenced to life in prison. You have to figure out what happened to the inmate who mysteriously disappeared in that same cell. Difficulty 9/10
- Gold Rush – You have to find the gold left by a greedy gold prospector
who loved to gamble before the mob gets it. Difficulty 7/10
- The Heist – You will have to recover the painting and getaway fast before being caught. Difficulty 8/10
- Mission: Mars – You will have one hour to repair your ship and leave Mars before you’re left to your eternal fate. Difficulty 8/10
- Special Ops: Mysterious Market – Your routine investigation quickly makes an unexpected turn and it’s up to you to uncover the truth. Difficulty 8/10
- Playground – Here you’ll have to pass a special school group project. The Playground was named the Best Escape Room. Difficulty 6/10.
See when you’re on a space mission and your spaceship is about to explode, you get a sense of urgency. Although you know it’s not real, the music and the atmosphere all play a role in the natural reactions your body has to “survival.”
3. Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park
I’m not much of an outdoorsy person, but the obstacle courses at Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park pulled out some of my character traits that I didn’t know existed.
Because their aerial obstacle is progressively challenging, I had to figure out ways to overcome many of the fears inside of me.
Fears such as, the fear of heights, the fear of losing control, and the fear of the unknown were all my own challenges I had to face.
Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park allows you to:
- Swing on Tarzan Ropes
- Climb Ladders 50-feet Up
- Leap into Hanging Nets
- Cross Wobbly Suspended Bridges
- Navigate Swinging Logs
- Balancing on Hanging Skate Boards
- Soaring Through the Trees on Giant Zip Lines
Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park is a family owned and operated business among 15-acres of a pine tree forest about 5 minutes away from Walt Disney World. The Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park has 97 aerial games for all ages and abilities.
Once you arrive at the Welcome Center you are equipped for your climb with one of the trainers who will show you how to safely navigate the courses on property.
I recommend making a reservation prior to your visit. The Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park opens at 8:30 a.m., but hours are seasonal so check the time blocks when booking your trip.
You can get your Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park discount ticket here!
4. Orlando Balloon Rides (Aerostat Adventures)
Have you ever thought about taking a flight over Disney in a Hot Air Balloon? This Orlando adventure is definitely a bucket list item.
Aerostat Adventures takes you on a one-of-a kind flight through central Florida over the parks and the natural setting of swampland, orange groves and so many other beautiful aspects of the state like never before!
What to know about Orlando Balloon Rides
- Sunrise flights are scheduled seven days a week
- Flights are 365 days a year (weather permitting)
- You meet 1 hour prior to sunrise and then travel to one of our many launch sites
- Inflation takes about 20 minutes
- Flight is about 1 hour to 1.5 hours
- You will ascend thousands of feet high
- Limited number of passengers to 4-6 per balloon
- Pilots are all FAA/LTA certified
If you’re ready for this Orlando challenge, then you can contact them at 407-476-7101.
ORDER NOW to secure your Walt Disney World theme park ticket! GET MY TICKETS.
5. Jump Florida Sky Diving
If you’re a true adventurer, then you must experience the Jump Florida Sky Diving attraction!
I know not everyone can skydive from 14,000 ft, but if you’re looking for more thrills than one of Orlando’s best roller coasters, then you have to muster up the courage and take the leap.
For first time jumpers they offer a Tandem Skydiving.
Tandem Skydiving is where a student skydiver is attached to a skydiving instructor. The instructor then guides you through the whole jump from exit through freefall, piloting the canopy, and landing.
With this technique, you’ll only need a few minutes of training before you jump into your amazing high-flying adventure.
Once you’ve made it to your altitude, you will step out of the aircraft door and freefall at 120 MPH.
What to Know about Jump Florida Sky Diving
- Safety is the number one priority
- State-of-the-art equipment and aircraft
- Regulated by the United States Parachute Association (USPA)
- Operated out of a private airstrip and landing area
- Qualified USPA-licensed staff
- You must be at least 18 years of age and under 230 lbs.
- Spacious spectator area perfect for hanging out all day
If skydiving is not for you, then I recommend starting out by observing other participants first. You can do this onsite at the Jump Florida Sky Diving facility.
There is a huge spectator area to watch every brave soul leap from thousands of feet in the air.
You may even get inspired to jump too!
As you can see, there are so many fun and unique things to do in Orlando for adults. On your next solo theme park trip, be sure to try at least one of these adventures and let us know how it went.
So, which one of the 5 adventurous things in Orlando are you willing to try? Let me know in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this article, then you’ll love these:
- The Top Money Saving Websites for Theme Parks
- Ultimate Kennedy Space Center Guide
- 34 Incredible Things to Do in Orlando Other than Disney
- The Best Escape Room in Orlando
- Why You Should Visit the Alligator Capital of the World: Gatorland
- How to Find Cheap Flights to Orlando
- Where to Find a Vacation Home Near Disney World
Until next time, Happy Park Hopping Hipsters!
(Original Article Date: October 2018/Updated June 30, 2021)